Saturday, May 22, 2010

First Night Out January 2010: Nr Claremore, Oklahoma, the Cherokee Casino Will Rogers Downs AND campgrounds

I knew I didn't have time to drive very far that day because I'd only left Lebanon about 1:30 and winter skies darkness closes in early in January. Kate, Jake in tow, and Preston the Wonder Dog and I found a KOA campground near Claremore, Oklahoma as that gray winter sky closed in. The KOA turned out to be the ice covered parking lot of the Cherokee Casino Will Rogers Downs! In warmer weather it would have been lovely but the iced lot was a bit precarious and as empty as it could be, no horses running on this day. What a contrast though as Kate pulled up at the registration which was inside the lively casino. In the "campground" there were only two other crazy travelers. It was so very cold that I didn't even risk the TV antenna or the slideout, all could wait for the warm southwest. The Winnebago was now home, cozy and warm and, though small, filled with my life, and most important of all Preston my co-pilot, travel companion, and best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment